Sunday, October 30, 2011

Fall Fun

Some pictures of the kids playing in the backyard. One of the last days for a "Fall" picture because between the frost and wind all the leaves are falling off quickly. It was a bit cold out today but we ran around for 1/2 an hour playing in the treehouse and romping around the yard. Lettie is able to climb the ladder to the treehouse but it drives me crazy with worry that she is going to fall through the rungs and clip her chin -- she is a brave girl and wants to do everything herself!
Being silly in the "tree house"

Crunching through the leaves

Clear skys with the sun helped us to not be quite so cold

I blew this picture up and framed it in the living room - what a face!

Bennett still loves his construction trucks - everywhere we drive when he sees a machine he yells (literally YELLS) from the back of the van, "TRACTOR TRAILER!" or "EXCAVATOR!" He also shouts, "AMBULANCE!" every time he sees any type of van - including plumbers, contractors, midwestern families....I've tried to explain that ambulances are larger and more square with lights but he still asks "Is that an ambulance mom?" and I say, "nope. See the ladders on the top...or...nope, see how it says 'pool cleaning' on the side" He gets so excited to hear sirens and equally disappointed if he can't see the truck/police car.
B also loves his music and lately we've been teaching him the lyrics to his favorite songs (including Tears for Fears, Tangled, and Pink Floyd). I love listening to him sing and mumble/glaze over words he doesn't know, or hum to skip to the parts he does know. I hope with all my hope that he continues to have a love for music and instruments.
The last big update for B is that he can read all of the "sight words" that are presented in kindergarten. He is such an avid reader and it is really exciting to watch him begin to sound out words he's never seen.

Lettie is now 21 months. Holy Moly. Her ability to communicate with us is improving everyday. Yesterday while eating lunch she held out her milk cup and said:
L: "mo" (more)
Me: "would you like some more milk Lettie?'
L: "Pees" (please)
(I filled her cup and gave it to her)
L: "ank oo" (thank you).

She also tells you when she's done eating by saying "done" and handing you her plate. But before you take her plate away completely she likes to pick up all the crumbs off her tray and put them on her plate - so particular.
A month ago she might have just banged her cup on her tray wanting more milk and I might have just taken her cup away to stop the racket not understanding she was trying to get more milk. It is awesome to be able to understand most of her needs!
She loves to read books (animals, flap books, cars) LOVES movies (Tangled, Cars and reading videos) and stacking blocks. Words she can read: Banana, apple, car, eyes, ears, hair, red, blue, green, yellow, orange, pink, brown, black, white, sit, play, flower, sun, baby, ball, book, house, horse, cow, dog, cat, turtle, tractor... She is beginning to recognize letters and numbers as well.

Just recently her hair is long enough to put in two small pigtails on the top of her head - so darn cute!
Both kids are loving - we are always getting/giving hugs and kisses, bedtime rituals and reading at night - things I want to hold on to as long as possible because all too soon they won't need me to help go to sleep or get them dressed. I just adore my children as I'm sure mother's across the world do - I would and will do anything to help guide to be the best they can be. I love you B and L!


No comments: