Wednesday, April 15, 2009

The Beginnings of a Garden

I have been wanting to have a vegetable garden since Mike and I moved to 11 Mile and this year may finally be it!! Mike and I have been building a raised garden at the south end of our property...I have yet to fill it with dirt and sow the seeds but now that we are almost past any danger of frost we can move forward with our plans (which so far includes summer squash, pumpkins, zucchini, corn, tomatoes, watermelon and lettuce).

Photobucket
The before picture. I chose this spot on the south side of "the pines" so we couldn't see the garden from the house but it is still quite accessible.

Photobucket
12ft x 12ft

Photobucket
The bottom is lined with 1/4inch chicken wire to keep the little animals out aka moles/rabbits

Photobucket
There are two 12 x 5ft plots, 1ft deep, with a 2ft wide walkway through the center. Nine 4 x 4 posts will support the fencing that will (hopefully) keep the deer out. We also have a door on the west side of the garden -- I am so in love with it already!!!

I am very open to any suggestions as I am a NOVICE gardener!

No comments: