This past weekend we played at the cottage with the Pemberton/Tober family - Dad, Barb, Paige, Rich, Jaxson and Addilyn.

We had to do some chores before we could play but it was worth it. I had B most of the time and I felt like I wasn't pulling my weight so I strapped him into the front carrier and toted him around the house. We moved furniture together and hauled a mattress down the stairs (much to Barb's distress at seeing me with B on my front and a mattress coming down the stairs at us! Sorry!). I did have some spacial awareness issues however because I bonked B's forehead on a door jamb when I leaned forward. I heard this little "thud" and then 3 sec later the buildup of a wail that turned into an all-out cry. That lasted for all of 10 sec at which time B saw himself in the mirror and started to smile.

We had to do some chores before we could play but it was worth it. I had B most of the time and I felt like I wasn't pulling my weight so I strapped him into the front carrier and toted him around the house. We moved furniture together and hauled a mattress down the stairs (much to Barb's distress at seeing me with B on my front and a mattress coming down the stairs at us! Sorry!). I did have some spacial awareness issues however because I bonked B's forehead on a door jamb when I leaned forward. I heard this little "thud" and then 3 sec later the buildup of a wail that turned into an all-out cry. That lasted for all of 10 sec at which time B saw himself in the mirror and started to smile.
He does like to look in the mirror and smile and coo to himself. I am starting to notice more awareness as we make eye contact in the mirror and then he looks at me directly and then back to the mirror. It's as though he's thinking, "mom, if you're there, in the mirror, who's holding me?, oh, you're holding me, then who is in the mirror?" and back and forth.
This was B's second trip to the cottage and he went for his first boat ride! We drove the Whaler up the shore and back - it was a little breezy on the way out but was warm on the way back. He was quite absorbed in the wheel - I think the sun's reflection caught his eye and he was hooked. When we came in for a landing I stood him up next to the wheel and he grabbed a hold of it to help dad dock the boat - such a good first-mate! Prior to our boat ride I played with B in his pool that Mima and Boppa gave to us - I filled it in the morning so the sun could warm the water during the day. The water was still a little chilly so we just splashed with our feet and hands but it was fun!
Pool Time

Cute little-man surfer shirt and swim trunks. He went commando under the trunks - I'm such a risk-taker! whoooo!

Bennett kept reaching for the floating toys so I put him on his belly instead

Much better!
First Boat Ride

Leaving the dock - note how B is staring at the wheel

Still staring at the wheel...

Ahoy matey!

I believe now he's looking at the throttle - faster dad!!!
The weather was a mild 60-70degrees but humid and the geekers (mosquitoes) were out in full force. It was us against them but we had ammunition - deet! We went for a walk in the woods hopeful we might find some late sprouting morels but we were skunked (all we found were a bazillion more geekers). We did see a foot print that we guess was left by either a bear or possibly a cat (yikes!). Despite the so many flying pests, I didn't hear anyone say they were bitten. However, early Moday morning we found a tick on B's forehead (of all places) but it was still crawling around and hadn't tried to eat our baby yet. Mike crunched him in half with his fingernail. I told Mike I didn't think you could kill them that way but he said the adrenaline of his baby being bitten gave him super-human strength. Da - da - daaaaaaah! Super-Dad!
We made it through the weekend unscathed.A Walk Behind the Cottages

Mike and B wearing the "buzz-off" bandannas that are supposed to keep bugs away - they were still all over us but they didn't bite so I'd say they worked!

I don't know what my goofy boys are doing here - push those lips out!

This pack is great - he didn't complain once the entire time he was in it (except for when I ran him into the door). --and yes, he is a big boy -- look at this face!
A Walk Through the "Pockets" off Hackleburg Road

Barb helping us get strapped in

A walk through the woods using our new backpack - thank you Mima and Boppa, we have been so excited to try this out and it was a huge success! Comfortable and easy to use - no complaints from B either!


A ride in Papa's truck back to where I had to park - the poor little Fusion couldn't navigate the woods
We also kept a running tally of dirty diapers for the weekend. Addy: 412 B:1 Seriously, this girl eats and makes room for more! B hadn't pooped in 4 days and finally as we were packing up to leave he did the deed - cheers all around! He's been like that since he was a month old - only pooping every 3-6days (not that we're complaining) but I'm curious to see what happens as we add more solid foods to the menu. By the way, B now eats his peas without a scowl and no gagging! We've added apples to the list and later this week: avacado!
Sunday night we watched National Treasure 2 (a bday gift for Dad from Paige/Rich). Paige and I walked to the store and bought candy. Too much candy. But it was so good! We ate popcorn, chomped on Junior Mints and orange slices and listened as a huge thunder/lightening storm rolled in across the lake.
I'm taking B up north this weekend to the great Upper Peninsula to visit my family and my good friend Bridget will be going along too. I am very excited to show her my home town and take her to my favorite hiking places, Presque Isle, Superior beaches and of course, our favorite restaurants! I hope that Jeff and Margaret will have delivered baby Conner by then so I can meet him, give him lots of aunt Katie smooches and smell his new-baby goodness! Mike will be staying in GR for work and some much-appreciated quiet/friend-time but we will head north again for his birthday in a few weeks.
That's all the news for now - stay sassy and goodnight!!!!
Random Pictures

Jaxson entertaining B before dinner

Jaxson and Mike hanging out during lunch time

Paige and Rich

Miss Addilyn was completely indulging in Papa's birthday cake!

Addy on the phone (fax) wearing what can only be described as Elton John sunglasses!
No comments:
Post a Comment