
Our backseat driver
We left on Thursday morning with a short stop at the bridge for lunch (home-packed PB&J's!) and made it to Marquette by 6p. B was a great traveler and didn't complain until we were 10mins out (I think he was just excited to see his Mimi and Boppa). We settled in and then went for a walk down to McCarty's Cove - there were kids out on the rocks!!! I couldn't believe it! The water must have been 55degrees! Brrrr! That's a Yooper for ya!
Friday was a mismatch of seeing friends and family. Jeff and Margaret welcomed their son, Connor, on Wednesday May28th at 12:58pm. A 9lb 1oz cutie! We made a quick visit to say congrats and then left the newly expanded family to rest. That afternoon my parents kept B while Bridget and I went to see Sex and the City - it was much anticipated as Bridge and I were avid watchers of the series. We Loved it!! I laughed! I cried! I laughed! It was great! Afterwards we went to a local restaurant, Up Front, and gossiped over drinks (Bridget, a Sex on the Beach cocktail - very appropriate I think, and I, a Corona with lime). That night my dad built a fire downstairs and we played a version of dominoes (this sounds like we're 90 years old but it's actually a lot of fun!).
A Visit with Baby Connor

Mom and Connor

Margaret and Jeff with B -- she looks so great only 3 days after delivery

What cheeks! He has a full head of dark hair


Boppa and the boys
The Great Outdoors
Saturday Bridget and I went to Forestville and hiked to the waterfalls. I certainly feel put in my place when I see and hear the power of the water as it rushes over the rocks. Ellie went with us and showed us up with her ability to navigate some iffy paths. Get this: we only saw 4 other people on our hike and two of them are from Grand Rapids! What are the odds! (pretty good, apparently). On our way home we drove to Presque Isle, checked out the cliffs and Black Rocks - this is such an nostaligic part of my childhood - I always get feel-good feelings when I come here. Saturday evening we went to Negaunee and saw my friends Molly and Jeni and they got to hang out with B for a while. We then went back home for more dominoes! Part of what I love about home is our fantastic ability to do nothing in particular and have so much fun! To me, being home is sleeping in, reading a book, catching up on magazine gossip, eating great food, walking in the woods and sitting by the fire.
Forestville


Steady...

Bridget crossing the creek

Ellie. What a show-off.

Here is one of the "iffy" paths I mentioned earlier - balancing on trees roots (I took the higher and less difficult path!)

Ellie's infamous bubble when she's out playing hard


Bridget is sitting in the top right hand
Intimidating power
Presque Isle



A lookout on Presque Isle

Bridget pretending to be Bear Grylss ("Man vs. Wild"). If stranded she said she would have to eat Ellie to stay alive. I told her Ellie would keep the bears and cougars away and that we shouldn't eat her (even though Ellie is afraid of bicycles and would surely run the other way if she saw a bear).

Black rocks - the point in the middle is where we jump off (in the summer of course)! The shore here is all rocks - perfect for skipping.
Enjoying the Outdoors

I love this pic! My mom looks so young and beautiful! (my Dad must have thought so too - watch your hands!). A handsome couple.

Dad walking with B

It was a little chilly this morning - what a rough life to be so bundled, toasty and warm.


The Fierstine home since I was six.

Mimi and B cuddling on the front porch
Random Pics

Molly and B

Claire's 2nd birthday was June 3 and we gave her a bucket of bugs to celebrate! (Thanks to Mimi for the idea)

Checking out the bugs through the magnifying glass. My mom tells me it takes forever to go for a walk because Claire lays down on the sidewalk to play with the ants.

B playing with his favorite musical toy - it plays the "If you're happy and you know it" tune and the flowers also chime and light individually when tapped.

Hanging out on the front porch on Pine Street
Sunday we went for a walk to Park Cemetary to check on my mom's garden (there is a designated area for garden "plots" provided by the city). This cemetary is beautiful with cascading trees overhanging the large ponds and roads that quietly wind through the hills. My mom and I like to walk through and find uncommon first names. This trip we found Saidee, Mable and Cajsa. My dad was pulling B in the red wagon and he fell asleep on the way home. From there we packed up to head back to GR. We made a pitstop pickup in Rapid River and Stephanie Grosvenor joined us for the trip south. Stephanie is from Gladstone and also went home this weekend and hitched a ride back with us. We stopped in Manistique for a quick bite, switched drivers in Grayling and made it home by 730p. Good times and good conversation; we may have to carpool to the UP more often.
When we arrived on Thurs, my parents were watching Claire while Jeff, Margaret and Connor were still at the hospital. B was laying on the floor and I was going to change his diaper. I asked Claire if she would like to help me (after all, she needs to learn her "big sister"duties!). Claire was squatting down next to me watching intently as I took B's diaper off. "What's that?" Claire asked. "That's his penis." I replied. Claire said, "Whoa." We all had a good long belly laugh at that. Ahhhhh, the innocence of toddlerhood.
I always feel like I didn't have enough time to do all the things I wanted to do or to see all the people I wanted to see. I believe that I will always leave feeling like it's too soon to go. Love to my Yooper family - I miss you!

1 comment:
What a great blog. Sounds and looks like you guys had a wonderful time!
Post a Comment