I don't know if it is because I am running on empty (I've been awake since yesterday at 1:30pm) or if I am overreacting in general but today I felt like I had that "naughty" kid whose parent had no control over him. We went to the library for story time and music and were surprised to find it was a Gymboree day. They lead the kids/parents in fun dances, playing musical instruments and singing. B was great for the first 10 mins or so and then I could not keep him out of the middle or focused on the current event. Is he just too young yet? But there were other kids who looked to be his age. Is he just more curious and adventurous and doesn't feel the need to be near me in a crowd? He kept turning back to make sure I was still there. But when I tried to guide him back to our spot in the circle or keep him near me for a dance he began to arch his back and voice his opinion - rather loudly. I told him it was not acceptable behavior and he would have one more chance to participate -- am I expecting him to understand too much? Yet, I can't have him running all around like some crazy, out-of-control child, doing as he pleases. So, after one more out burst when I prevented him from wandering, we promptly left after being there for only 25 min (it's a 50min program). He probably doesn't understand the connection. I don't know. But I feel I still need to follow through with the stated consequence.
We went to the library 2 weeks ago for a storytime and it was such a good experience - we sat and read and sang together - it was great one-on-one bonding. So I am bummed over this new experience. Huh. So now we are home to have a snack and possibly take an early nap. Any suggestions for some parenting or just telling me to "take a chill pill" is welcomed.
I still managed to snap two pictures while we were having fun.

Shaking the marraccas. Blurry I know but I wanted to take the picture quickly so we could keep having fun. This is what caused the downfall -- when it was time to put the marraccas away - he wanted to keep pulling them out of the box and started to fuss when he couldn't have them.

At one of his finer moments. Note all the kids sitting/standing in their spot at the edge of the parachute while we sing and B in the middle. This wasn't too big of an issue until he started to sneak out of the circle through random people. I tried to give him his space to roam (it wasn't hurting anyone for him walk around) but thankfully two different moms caught him from leaving the area.
1 comment:
Don't worry about it too much Katie. Aidan and I have been doing Kindermusic and I have to realize that he still is young and can't be expected to sit still all the time (particularly when I want him to most). Sometimes you just need to "go with the flow" and let him explore. I am also surprised at the experience he does get from wandering around (and seeming not to pay too much attention). He recalls some of the songs when we get home. If B seems to be having fun exploring (and not hurting himself or anyone else) I would let him. It is a class for young kids after all and the instructors and the other parents need to realize that! :) Hang in there and try to enjoy the time. You might also look for another class that would allow him to work off some of that boyish, youthful energy (the parks department gymnastics/tumble classes?)!
Post a Comment